That tail was a blast. I’m not kidding – it was fun to make and fun to wear. I drafted the pattern with no real plan and was shocked when it turned out right. It’s wetlook spandex with foam inserts for the fins, and one superlong invisible zipper down the left side so I could get in and out.
Can’t imagine I’ll wear this again, but if I do I’ll be remaking the top. That was me at 4am the night before wearing this, suddenly realizing I have no idea what I’m doing and should not be allowed to sew.
Hand-strung the beads for the belts, because I found the perfect beads for them.
Pipe made from Sculpey and wood.
Custom-fit clear heels courtesy of Skyscraper Heels in Chicago.
Abs courtesy of Tony Horton.
I used Kryolan Aquacolor for his paint – which was a combination of three different blues, and then one red for his tattoos. It takes a long time, but the effect is great and it stays really well. I couldn’t get him to sit in the makeup chair any longer…which is why he doesn’t have webbed hands. 🙁
His nose is built off of a standard latex nose appliance; the blade is made of styrene, then attached with more latex. The appliance was covered in white grease paint, then painted over with the Aquacolor.
The shorts were purchased and didn’t need any alterations. I made the shirt, sash, hat, and ankle cuffs. Flip flops from Target were covered to give them the right look. Bracelet was spray painted and shortened from a necklace laying around from some Halloween long since passed.
The wig was actually my super old Envy wig that was practically destroyed, but worked well for Arlong’s craziness. It got a serious trim, got ratted up, and worked perfectly.